12 The ALLURE of Rallies & Tours beautiful Finger Lakes. (Along the way we chanced upon the Sixteenth Annual Algonquin Old Car Show in Bainbridge, NY, where we spent a couple of hours, got a nice dash plaque and met some great car enthusiasts. We were hoping to receive the longest distance trav- elled award, but neither did they have one, nor, for that matter, did we have room for it). At this point, although we had already passed through 15 states, I was still not yet ready to announce my intentions to drive through the entire lower 48. Apart from a tree falling across the road in front of us and blocking the road onadetourinPennsylvania,nothingun- usual occurred by the time we reached our overnight stop in Hudson, OH. The next day we put the top down (it stayed down until Oregon) and made a stop at the ACD Museum in Auburn, IN, on the way to a two-day stop in Elkhart, IN, via a slight dip to the north through Sturgis, MI. Although the Speedster was still running very well, I’m sure it appreciat- ed the day off when the group proceed- ed (by air-conditioned buses) to the CCCA Museum in Kalamazoo, MI. This facility is worth a stop for any vintage car enthusiast and mandatory for clas- sic car aficionados. By now, Wyatt’s vacation was at an end and I proceeded on to overnight stops in Rockford, IL, and Lacrosse, WI, alone. This ended one leg of the club’s three-week tour, and here I was joined by my wife, Edie, and youngest son, Ryan. The next two days were the longest and hottest of the CCCA tour: 810 miles to Rapid City, SD, with an overnight stop in Yankton in between, and with the temperature in the 90s all the way. An Awful Sound As we neared the village of Colome, SD, (pop. 309), a terrible rattling sound em- anated from the engine compartment. After limping into town, my friend Bob Agnew from Albuquerque diagnosed the problem. The bushing in the water pump had failed, allowing the impeller to scrape the inside of the pump hous- ing. The lady who owned the corner gas station allowed us to use her service bay, and off came the radiator, then the pump. It turned out that Colome had a first-class machine shop and the owner turned a new bushing for us in less than two hours, adapting parts he had on hand. Thanks to Bob’s efforts our total downtime from “awful sound” to “on the road again” was barely four hours. On, then, through Badlands to Rapid City. The next day, as the CARavan visited Mt. Rushmore and other points in the Black Hills as part of another two-day stop (we had already done this drill in 1991 in our 1942 Packard on the way to Alberta), it was fish or cut bait time. We needed ND, and MT, if our epic journey was to be completed. Dare we leave Bob Agnew, the service truck that followed the tour (with mechanic), and the rest of the entourage and head north into the bleak and sparsely-inhabited area of western ND, and eastern MT, on our own? Why not! So we sped to Bowman N.D.,thenwesttoMilesCity,MT,forour overnight stop. The next day, after stops in Northern Cheyenne Craft Center in Lame Deer, MT, and the Little Bighorn Battlefield (site of Custer’s last stand), we motored on south to Sheridan, WY, and once again rejoined the CARavan. Attacking the Bighorns The following morning provided the first test of all the cars on the tour: a pair of 9000-plus-foot passes between Day- ton and Greybull. When crossing a high pass in an old car you have four things working against you: 1) The boiling point of water drops OneLap_010-015.indd 12 12/23/17 11:04 AM